The night before I left Geoff and Tennie went outside to check on Tennie's bunnies and to Tennie's great horror they were both dead from the long day of heat. Tennie has been so diligent these past two summers in keeping them cool with frozen water bottles and spray bottles, but this particular day must of been too much. They didn't share a cage and it was so peculiar they both died together. Tennie was devastated, and felt their loss so profoundly. I missed the touching funeral Tennie organized with a little song and prayer, a tribute, each person said something they remembered about them, everyone wrote a note to put in their box, Mormor read a quote that there would be animals in heaven, and then they placed the bunnies box into a grave she and Geoff had dug and cleared of debris. Everyone took turns shoveling some dirt over the box, Tennie sprinkled rose petals over the mound, and poured the bunnies remaining water bottle water over the petals. It was very ceremonial, and cute little Tennie is still feeling the pain deep in her heart.
While I was gone we had a visit from our friends from Boston, the Shumways. To say I was disappointed to miss them is a huge understatement! Lucky Geoff and the girls got to spend the whole day soaking up their delightful presence.
Yesterday we spent a few hours at the river, trying to squeeze out the last warm days of summer vacation. Tuesday we rev up for a new school year!
3 comments:
Wow, such good and sad news all in one post. Your Dad is a trooper and I'm so glad he is doing better! I am terribly sad for Tennie and the bunnies. I can certainly understand the devastation given how attached my girls are to their bunnies. Hugs to Tennie.
Darcie,
I'm so happy you're dad is doing better, but so sad we missed you. I felt like we saw you in a way, seeing your cute girls. They have so much of your beauty and charm and spirit embedded in their souls. It made me feel connected with you even though you weren't there. You are doing a FABULOUS job as a mother. They seem so secure and happy and engaged. We all fell in love with them! (and we love Geoff too, of course)
Oh, so sad for Tennie and the little bunnies. Taeya will be heartbroken when I tell her. We love you guys!
Post a Comment