Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Birthday Tradition

We have a birthday tradition (in progress) on the birthday of each grandparent - we eat or do one of their favorite things.  This past Saturday was my dad's birthday and we had our annual menu in his honor consisting of hamburgers with grilled onions on toasted English Muffins, corn on the cob, chips and soda (he would have had Coke in a frosted mug, but we do a little adaptation there...)  This was a meal his mom served every Saturday to her six boys.  She served it every time I visited her until she passed away (minus the corn, that was my dad's addition).  My girls love this meal and they all toasted to their grandpa who is smiling down from heaven on us.  Of course, this meal was made a tradition before the girls really got to know about his lavish breakfasts that he served every time we visited - scrambled eggs, English muffins, hash-browns, endless bacon, fruit salad, and OJ.  Maybe someday I'll throw that in as part of the tradition too...  My dad was a great cook, and I can picture him whistling as he moved about the kitchen with his black apron on.  He is still very much a part of our lives.  Happy Birthday, Pops!




2 comments:

Joann said...

Thanks for sharing that Darc- I didn't know about that tradition...just of your Dad's love for Corn dripping with butter, and loads of salt and pepper. Tag still prays for him often and says he wishes he could see him. He sure was a great chef...hoping Mitch will join in on that someday too ;) Love you all!

Britty said...

What a great idea for a tradition! I love Tennie's photo bomb in the last picture!