Friday, February 5, 2016

January 2016

We're well into February and I'm just now posting for the entire month of January!  January was busy.  For one thing, Ceci returned home to homeschool.  Her teacher wasn't the right teacher for her, and the school model for her age-group just isn't where the school wants it to be, yet.  To be honest, I LOVE having only one kid at home, and I am so grateful for the one-on-one time with Ceci every day.  She has not once mentioned missing school.




She works hard every day, and we spend a good 4-5 hours together cranking through all sorts of learning.  She has been accepted to a new Waldorf charter school opening in Utah next Fall.  Or maybe she'll return to AISU.  Who knows, maybe she'll continue homeschooling.

Adele turned 14!  Geoff and Ceci fit in a little serenade to the Beatles, You Say it's Your Birthday, before Tennie headed off to school.  Adele took the day off.


We had signs up throughout the house wishing her a good day and celebrating what we love about her.


Several of her friends did tributes to her on Instagram, all of which made her day. 

She made some hats for her birthday lunch:


Adele, Ceci and I met Emily, Bailey, Nikki and Britt and Cheesecake Factory for lunch.






We had a treasure hunt with the jackpot being a pile of gifts.  The thank-you-for-the-gift-hug:


A few friends came over for dinner and to hang out that evening.  She is taking her birthday party money to London this summer, assuming her plans to spend a few weeks with her friend, Esther, and go to EFY there all work out.  It was a great day celebrating an unusually beautiful person, inside and out.

My friend Monica and I organized a motherhood retreat in Laguna Beach at the incredible home of our hostess, Margaret.  It is always so much fun to reconnect with these great women, share ideas about mothering, and discussing gospel topics.  We were incredibly pampered with the location and a very healthy caterer who provided all delicious meals.

Ingrid, Emily and I went out a day early.



All the ladies who could make it this year:


It was a smaller group (by about 1/2) but very intimate and rich. Look at this view from the kitchen:


Amazing!  Meanwhile, Geoff and the girls sent me a picture of their traditional breakfast while I'm gone at these retreats:


Chocolate cake waffles.

Geoff and someone go skiing every week, sometimes twice.  Mostly Geoff and Ceci make the effort.  We've had a lot of great snow this year.  It was a good year to start this sport!


Geoff and Ceci.


Geoff and Em sans kids.

Geoff got some skis in the mail:


We celebrated Geoff's dad's birthday:


Ceci took a bunch of pictures with a friend, and all give a glimpse into her fun personality:




I also found this random shot on my phone:


Tennie always says things that make me laugh.  The only one I wrote down this month was, "I make up so many words, I'm practically Shakespeare." 

I've been going one morning a month to help my dad's wife, Babs, organize her pictures in preparation to create a personal history.  Isn't she adorable?


My calling as stake young women's president was unusually busy.  I prepared a talk for, and went to, one ward conference, created and put on a ward young women leadership training, helped with a stake Book of Mormon activity, assisted with recommendations, and got to know, a ward with two young women that joined our stake after some boundary changes, attended a New Beginnings, chaperoned a multi-stake dance and went to a multi-stake fireside, and had the typical stake council, presidency and stake youth committee meetings.  It felt a little non-stop.


Adele at her FIRST mutual dance with her young women president Charlotte, and a fellow young woman, Rachel.

Tennie and I went to a meeting about concurrent enrollment at Salt Lake Community College for next year.  We're getting our minds around college admissions and credits, driver's permits, a summer internship in Paris, and scholarship opportunities.  This is a whole new world we're entering!

Our hall has been in the process of a remodel since last May.  We got a new door in January:


We had dentist and orthodontist appointments, and we registered for EFY at BYU (which is not for the weak of heart!)  And now we're on to February...

No comments: