Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What We've Got Soup

I figured this soup deserves its own post because it is such a
winter staple for us. There are inevitably several nights a week where the lunch or dinner hour rolls around and we have no plan. I like to be organized. I like to make a weekly menu and go to the store for all the ingredients. But that kind of cooking doesn't exist here. The stores have a different set of ingredients than I'm used to; many are completely non-existent. As a result, we buy whatever looks fresh and seasonal and figure we'll come up with some way to make it taste good. I'm a little inadequate in creative cooking, and I'm afraid that the zeal for cooking that possessed Geoff when we first got here has faded away (although he is the Juice Maker for which I'm very grateful). Usually in desperation I throw everything in a pot and we have another meal of What We've Got Soup. Today vegetable bouillon was the base (with a good sprinkle of coarse, flavorful sea salt) and I threw in yellow split peas, and finely diced carrots, turnips, zucchini, celery, spinach, parsley and celery root (all the loose ends in the fridge). Sometimes we have a little chicken, ham or fish to toss in, and we always finish it off with a hearty drizzle of local olive oil. Thankfully the girls never complain when crackers are involved!

1 comment:

ashley said...

Ooh, sounds so good to me. My go-to is coconut curry for the same reasons you mentioned:)