Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Versaille

I didn't read Lonely Planet carefully and our scheduled day at the Palace of Versailles was on Monday when it is closed. Rats. Instead we explored the expansive and incredibly idyllic gardens. After I graduated from high school twenty years ago, I visited Versailles with my dad and his wife and we rented bikes. I remembered Marie Antoinette's little village where she "played" milk maid: little storybook cottages with thatched roofs. The girls really wanted to see it. We found a bike rental place but Adele was riding a bike without training wheels for the first time so we weren't sure how far we would get. Geoff was giving her a little lesson and within about 30 seconds she was off on her own! What a place to master the bike! We found the little cottages, and we rode through the tree-lined paths. It was a perfect afternoon.





That is the palace in the background

And facing the other direction the gardens go on and on (the go on in all directions!)



1 comment:

Catherine Witt said...

I just noticed that you posted about Versailles on June 25th. We were there that day. Isn't that odd and a little sad that we missed you? We're in Redmond now. I'm sad we missed you and it's amazing that our paths almost crossed in France. WEll, next time!