Thursday, October 15, 2009

A work in progress...

Well, after I wrote that last post that made our little Z School seem like a place of harmony and focus, things took a little down turn and I began to wonder if the Z didn't stand for ZOO! With seemingly constant irregularity because of dentist appointments (Adele is on her fourth with three teeth pulled, two crowns, and three cavities -does she have that many teeth?!- and one more appointment to go, and Ceci just had her second with one crown and 4 cavities...they DO brush their teeth, I promise!) and eye appointments (Adele, crushed by her mortal "problems", has a stronger eye prescription, and follow-up eye therapy starting next week, Tennie and Geoff have new reading glasses, and Ceci can put off reading glasses another year or two), we all get off to a rocky start and my Time Timer loses its power. Yesterday I had had enough, and when the girls didn't focus I told them that if they weren't going to be educated at school than I had better teach them to WORK since they would have to earn their living somehow (yes, not exactly a moment of motherly love). I made them scrub toilets and cupboards and railing spindles, sweep floors, vacuum, organize toys, and empty trash until 2:30 (the time school would be over). Geoff thought it might be a good idea for me to take the afternoon off so he took over and I locked myself in my room. I sat there wondering how these lousy days could ever amount to educated, well-adjusted kids, let alone a Zion-like family! Then two incidences that happened this week came into my mind. The first was when I announced "Job for Sale!" Tennie immediately yelled, "ME! I'll do it!" Then Adele, who was next to Tennie, realizing she had forgotten to fold the laundry, slouched in disappointment. She tries so hard to be exact. Tennie noticed Adele's reaction and said, "Never mind. I don't want the job." I told her Adele would have to pay someone and if she didn't do it than I would. She said, "No thanks, mom." She didn't want to be the one taking money from Adele. It was a display of pure loyalty. (Let me mention here that Tennie consistently gives her money away to help others buy things. Adele always likes to have a $10 cushion and if she is going to buy something that will leave her with only $9 Tennie will give her a $1 so she can keep her comfortable savings.) The second happened one morning when Tennie had forgotten to empty the dishwasher, a job required to be completed before school begins. Tennie was on time and ready at devotional, and proud of it. I said that anyone who had finished their jobs was welcome to begin with us. She recalled her job and ran out crying that she was going to miss the beginning of school. Adele and Ceci, who had completed their jobs, ran to help Tennie clean out the dishwasher (their least favorite job) so she could return quickly. So there were Geoff and I singing a hymn together, saying a family prayer together, and beginning our recitation of the 12th Article of Faith when the girls joined us. It made enforcing a natural consequence seem silly when the girls were all on the same team in the kitchen. The old saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day" applies to the girl's education, the creation of Zion in our home, the perfecting of ourselves, and on an on. A patient and loving God doesn't look how today went, or even this week or month. It is an accumulation of our efforts. He looks on the diligent and weak efforts, the day in day out struggle to do what is right, and the deep desires of our hearts, even when the darker, nastier parts of ourselves come out for a little sunshine. Even with the fighting, whining, "wigging out", distracted attention, and forgetfulness (not to mention what Geoff and the girls have to work on... :)) there will be progress just by the fact that I was willing to wake up and give it a good shot again today. At least, it keeps me setting my alarm clock in the mornings....

No comments: