Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Birds and Bees

Geoff and I took Adele out for dinner tonight to tell her "the most exciting secret in the whole world"...how babies are made. We went to a nice, quiet restaurant in town with a few books for reference. She knew we were going to tell her something "amazing" but didn't seem all that anxious to hear it, maybe because she can see right through our hyped-up efforts to portray it as "amazingly special". Knowing Adele she was probably thinking to herself, "Forget the secret, just take me to the farm store so I can stare at the bunnies...that is exciting!"

We warmed up with some questions (all taken from the Eyre's awesome book How to Talk to Your Child About Sex), and then asked where she thought babies came from. "Heavenly Father." We asked how he got them here. "The mom's tummy." We asked how it got in the mom's tummy. This was something she had never considered, at least for any amount of time. With a silly grin she guessed, "It flies?" We continued by reading a little illustrated book on how babies are made. It is tastefully straight forward, and humorous at the same time. When Adele saw the picture of the naked man and woman she scrunched up her nose, said, "Ew!" and quickly put her napkin over it. She didn't look anywhere near the book again. We continued to read as she is familiar with a male and female body (you can't go to Florence, Italy and not be familiar...) She was growing uneasy as I talked about the body parts, but when I explained the "special hug" she exclaimed, "This is not fun!" (as Tennie had promised). She continued with emotion, "It is getting loud in here...I don't want to talk about this anymore!"

So, "the talk" is on hold. One thing is for sure...she'll certainly never look at us the same!

2 comments:

Jacob said...

ha! i love it! hilarious. so is this something you guys do before they get baptized or something? amazing story. i can see her doing all of this. i love you guys!
britto

S.T. Lewis said...

"It's getting loud in here." HA! I'll need to remember that one for all those times when I don't want to talk to someone anymore. This is awesome, Darcie!