Uncomfortable with the appearance and culture of the Chinese, a small designated area of the booming San Francisco was set aside for them to live (in other words, to keep them separate). Chinatown was born.
After two hours in the car our first stop was Portsmouth Square. It is the central gathering place for the Chinese living in Chinatown. There were small clusters of men playing cards on pieces of cardboard as a table surface. A few clusters of women, too. And some grandmothers watching their grandchildren play while both parents work.
We explored St. Mary's church whose foundation came from China and bricks came from around the horn with the gold seekers. (The only building in Chinatown not completely destroyed in the 1906 fire.) It was built by the Catholics to convert immigrating Chinese.
We missed seeing the two Chinese temples because they closed before we got there.
We went to a fortune cookie factory. Fortune cookies didn't originate in China. As a matter of fact they were introduced in China maybe 15 years ago as the "Authentic American Fortune Cookie". Some think the idea came from the Chinese patriots in the 14th century who asked the ruling Mongols if they could give gifts to friends and family celebrating Mongol rule. They gave moon cakes with a message giving the date of their planned revolt. If I remember correctly, they won.
In Chinese tradition moon cakes with messages inside are still given when a new baby is born. So maybe that sparked the idea. At any rate, this factory produces 30,000 fortune cookies a day, and sells them all over the country. It is the only one left that makes the cookies by hand.
We finished our day at the Hong Kong Clay Pot which was a neighborhood favorite. It was packed with locals. We passed on the frogs and duck and went with chicken and beef dishes. The girls gobbled it up and then promptly fell asleep on the ride home. A good day.
I must admit that my research on this wasn't terribly thorough so sorry if some of my facts aren't just right!
4 comments:
Hi Darcie,
Its Asawari !! I want you to know that I enjoy reading your blog so much. You are an inspiration to new moms like me. I'm also really bummed that all of you were in San Francisco and I didn't get to see you. We are so (relatively) close now, and I'd love to see all of you again, either when you are in town next or come up and visit you when you are free. Say Hi to the girls and Geoff. I remember my times visiting with you in Seattle very fondly. Hugs, Asawari
What a fun outing, Darcie. I can't believe they make the fortune cookies by hand! Sela and I went to a fortune cookie factory in Seattle's (mini) Chinatown and it was really cool! Those cookies taste much better warm, even if they aren't from China. Home school life is looking lovely!
oh i love chinatown! looks like the girls had a blast! you guys are so fun and adventurous!
oh i love chinatown! looks like the girls had a blast! you guys are so fun and adventurous!
Post a Comment