(NOTE: I won't go into what initiated this learning since in the end it really helped all of us.)
Background
During our year in France, and my first year of homeschooling, I had some concerns about one of our children. I recalled a friend in Seattle telling me about "sensory integration" when sharing some of my worries about this child, which at the time I totally dismissed because it was in reference to her autistic daughter. But having no other resources during that year in France other than God's inspiration, and considering this recollection an impression in answer to some of my personal pleadings for help, I ordered a book called Raising a Sensory Smart Child. I read it cover to cover, marking entire paragraphs, and leaving notes and initials in the white space, and finding that it not only defined exactly what our child of concern was doing, but described parts of the rest of us as well! Behaviors that I thought were idiosyncratic in each of us stemmed from our body's sensory integration (or lack thereof).
Sensory integration is described as the ability to organize sensory information for use by the brain. An individual with sensory integration issues would therefore have a decreased ability to organize sensory information as it comes in through the senses. For example, if you buy a new pair of shoes you can feel (through your touch sense) that the shoes aren't comfortable, yet. But your brain has learned that with a little time the discomfort will go away and you are able to tolerate it. A person that doesn't process the sensory information well will try the shoes on and immediately kick them off, or will feel incredible anxiety until they are removed. It feels like spiders are crawling all over their feet and they want them off, NOW! Their brain doesn't log in or remember experiences as being familiar or "normal". Every sensation of similar touch ignites a fight or flight sensation. The same child may crave deep tickling or strong hugs because the deep pressure is calming, in contrast to the light touch sensations.
The same goes for all other senses, too. With auditory processing, for example, one child hears every single sound at once (the fan, the silverware clanking on plates, shoes clicking on a wood floor, the tempo of distant music and a nearby fountain) and will feel overwhelmed by the noise, while another may seek out noise (speak with an unusually loud voice, play music loudly, constantly sing or hum, or bang tables or plates with their hands or silverware). One takes in too much sensory information while the other not enough. We happen to have a few of each of these which makes for an interesting family dynamic!
Is there anything one can do to develop sensory integration? Yes, the younger the better but its never too late. There are two main functions in the brain to focus on, the proprioceptive system and the vestibular system. The proprioceptive system helps us locate our bodies in space. If a child falls easily, bumps into things, knocks things over, leans back in a chair, and/or has a difficult time sitting still (among other things) they could use some help building their proprioceptive system. Activities to build this system might include jumping, pushing, pulling, carrying weighted objects, climbing, squeezing, hanging, stirring, kneading, etc. (While there is much more information online than I am describing here, hopefully you get a general idea.)
The vestibular system is located in the inner ear. It responds to movement and gravity and is therefore involved with our sense of balance, coordination and eye movements. Activities to help stimulate this system can include hanging upside down, rocking chairs, swings, spinning, rolling, somersaulting, cartwheels, balance beams and dancing. All these activities involve the head moving in different ways that stimulate the vestibular system. All things children naturally love to do unless their system is underdeveloped in which case they may avoid these movements.
A word about nutrition: people with sensory integration issues are often intolerant to wheat and dairy. These foods exacerbate the symptoms. Sugar is also a trigger food. Removing these foods is a big adjustment but helps tremendously.
During our months in France I did the best I could to incorporate the right activities into our lives, but I felt I needed a little more help and guidance. While I was anxious for further help I knew I would have to wait until we settled somewhere to look for a pediatric occupational therapist, the first professional I wanted to work with. When it became obvious that we were staying in Auburn until further notice I started asking around and...my understanding really started picking up speed.
No comments:
Post a Comment