Having said this I think our culture is generally an "I want" culture. Our kids are growing up feeling entitled to a handful of Halloween candy instead of a piece; feeling they should get the comfy couch even if their elders are sitting on hard chairs; getting exactly what they want for Christmas instead of being thrilled with a thoughtful gift from someone. One of our family quotes is "Expect nothing; be grateful for everything", but it seems there are 100 entitlement messages to our one gratitude message.
A few weeks ago we volunteered to help collect food for the Auburn Christmas Basket, a non-profit organization that provides Christmas gifts for children, and two weeks of food for over 600 local families.
We recently spent a night making holiday cards for Operation Mom, an organization that sends monthly packages to US troops. The girls spent a lot of time thinking what to draw and write, and really wondered what it would be like to be far away from home for the holidays. They were far more interested in the project than I imagined.
Will these experiences hold back the tide of entitlement in our girls? Maybe. But I'm dreaming of a trip to the slums of Nairobi in the next few years. Or maybe a year running a school for the children in a leper colony in India, like some good friends of ours did with their five kids. I guess the best place to start is myself. Do I expect nothing, and am I grateful for everything? I'm going to give that some serious reflection this holiday season.
"Let every heart prepare Him room"
4 comments:
I love it!
I love Christmas and I love the excitment of guessing what you will find under the Christmas tree in the morning.
luxury watches
I just want to make sure that while you are contemplating how you are going to give back to the world (or at least those in need), you allow those beautiful girls to experience Santa, and the magical anticipation that comes with Christmas while they are young enough to experience it.
I remember how excited we were as kids and how fun our Christmas mornings were. SANTA LIVES!
beautiful. and a great reminder. you guys are certainly the best example of this! love you!!!
Post a Comment