Our Internet was down a few days then we left town for the weekend so I have a lot of catching up to do!
Last Thursday we went on a little horseback ride.
The farm where our ride started. Those men were our guides.
We all got on our horses. We don't remember Geoff's horse's name, Tennie's horse (translated) was Eyes of Glass, Adele had Sweet, Ceci had Big Gold, and I had Full Moon. Now I'm a little skittish about horses (I don't know why) but Full Moon was clearly "spirited". She seemed to sense my fear. So I got a new horse. My new horse's name was Useless. I wasn't sure whether or not to feel relieved or alarmed about a horse named Useless.
I soon learned that this wasn't your typical dumbed-down horse ride where you can't get your horse to do anything - they just follow the rear in front of them. These horses would nip at each other. They seemed to want to trot or run, and Useless clearly had spacial awareness issues as he would take me (I wasn't all that in control) under low branches that I had to back-bend under, or he would go by a post or tree or another horse unaware that I had a leg, and smash it. I had to physically push myself apart from other things. I know that is what reigns are for but I clearly didn't know how to use them.
We saw some wild Howler Monkeys
The trotting was tiresome. Whenever we had a little breather from the horse initiating a trot the guide from behind would give a little click with his tongue and on they would go. I know there is a rhythm to trotting, and I'm sure it feels good once you get the hang of it, but I was feeling really jostled around, and so was everyone else. Luckily we were in good humor, for the most part, and when the absurdity of our ride was at a breaking point someone would make a little comment. We laughed ourselves to tears on a number of occasions during this two-hour ride.
We had some magnificent views
We ended up on the beach and rode right to our house. The horses were afraid of the waves and wanted to take off running. (To be honest...I was counting the minutes... )
Was it worth it? Absolutely. The girls LOVED it. I will say, though, we all had trouble walking for a few days...
No comments:
Post a Comment