As I pondered over this circumstance I remembered my deep belief that it is my role to nurture my children - their whole souls. I figured I would be nurturing their minds, bodies, and social selves with this active schedule, but in reality nothing is really getting fully nurtured. We're doing too much to process anything we might be gaining. As active as they (mostly Adele) want to be, if something comes up spontaneously we don't have time to glance at it. What happened to my scenic route?
| Adele and Ceci at the first of five clay classes at The Leonardo museum |
The pressure will let up a little once soccer season and Tennie's play are over next month, but what about this month? What do I cut out? How can I "preserve the asset", as Geoff always says? How can I take care of myself in all of the nurturing of my children? How do I fit in walks in nature, and yoga? How do I get to the temple each week? How do I find time to look outward at those around me to lend a hand? How do I find more time to pray when I literally collapse into bed and am out within ten seconds (no joking)? How do I set aside time for Geoff and our relationship? How do I really see the needs of my kids if I'm moving like a hurricane?
I appreciate that we use our car time effectively, and we have a dinner schedule, and we have some fun traditions, but does that really add up more than playing a game on the floor? Or wrestling and laughing? Or not being rushed from a good conversation in order to make it to a clay class on time? What is the balance?
I often think of Elder Oaks amazing talk several General Conferences ago about Good, Better, Best. Many things in our lives are good, some are better, but what is best? What trumps all other good and better activities? I feel like this fall I was so optimistic we could do it all that I'm caught in the mire of Good. So I'm re-evaluating (yet, again) how to fit in the Best things first, and then a few Better things, and maybe even a few Good things. I don't want to deceive myself into thinking that just because I'm with my kids all day I'm spending quality time with them.
Being sick is sometimes a blessing in disguise. Being forced to slow down has given me a little perspective, a bit of stillness to see things as they really are. Time to make some changes...
1 comment:
I know exactly how you feel. I often feel like I'm just keeping up with all the demands I have placed on myself and children. I have one child who would never be home if we let her go. Trying to fill her social bucket is a challenge. I have another child who loves to be at home baking and reading, but she is often in the car with me. And I just brought my third child home from a charter school. He has no idea how to fill his time, so he is driving his sisters crazy. I often feel tired and dissatisfied with how things are going.I often refer to that talk about good, better, best and try to evaluate how I'm doing with choosing things for my family to be involved in. I listened to a great talk by Glennon Melton the other night. She said that searching for balance is like trying to find a unicorn. Instead we should focus on using our friends and family to help us, and in return we bring things to the table to help them. She has a blog called momastery.com- it is a fun read.
Good luck trimming the unnecessary out of your life. I think you are an amazing woman.
Sarah
Post a Comment