Sunday, November 9, 2008

Raging storms

The past two weeks we've had severe thunderstorms, daily. It is very unusual for Menton where the sun usually shines and life goes on peacefully. We've been huddled indoors trying to stay dry, with windows and shudders closed to keep out the winds. It has been chilly outside but thankfully we have little wall heaters in each room so we kept warm. The lighting was so powerful and strong that it's flash woke Geoff and I up nightly, and the thunder shook our little stone villa repeatedly. We avoided going out as much as possible, but eventually we would run out of food or need something. With our car in the shop Geoff went out on an errand on the scooter one day and got caught in a storm. He came back soaked to the bone; shivering uncontrollably with cold. We ran a warm shower and got some warm soup ready to help him recover and thankfully he didn't get sick. The next time he went out he put on his rain pants, a rain jacket and waterproof gloves, and the helmet with it's face guard. Again it began to rain hard while he was out, but that time he came back feeling dry and warm. The rain would come down in torrents so when he was out the girls and I would anticipate his return and pray for his safety. We're not immune to rain, as you know, but this was unusually wild weather for a relatively long period of time! Then yesterday when we woke up the sky was clear blue and the sea perfectly calm. The air had been cleansed from all of its impurities and the light reflected on every thing with such brilliance that it was almost like their was another dimension to what one could see! The colors of the sea, the mountains, the trees, the boats, and the buildings were magnified and magnificent. The sun was so warm and bright. We felt so alive and full and light! I can't describe the beauty and peacefulness.

I couldn't help but see the parallel to the severe storms swirling around so many of you as you stand up for moral principles at home. I don't anticipate they'll go away anytime soon. As we fight for our families and freedoms, fortify our homes to stand up to the raging storms, and wear our "armor of God" whenever we leave our places of safety, we can have peace and protection. And we can look forward to that day when the storms cease and all impurities are washed away and the world and everything in it are magnified and magnificent. I hope for, and live for, that day!

2 comments:

ashley said...

Well said. I love hard rains and electrical storms. It rains hard like that in Texas but it's usually over quick. Two weeks is a lot of rain! We've been pretty dry here, but I'm sure it will change soon!

Gramper said...

I love the analogies you drew to life. Very picturesque. Thanks for a very enjoyable blog.