A few typical-looking houses...
Chateau de Chenonceau
On day three in the Loire Valley we visited the sixteenth century Chateau de Chenonceau (it took me about three days to finally pronounce it correctly!), and this was by far our favorite chateau of those we visited. It felt as though we stepped back in time with period furniture filling the rooms, intact tapestries still covering and warming the walls, and in the corners of the floors, where centuries of passer-throughs hadn't worn them away, one can see the ornate tile work that once graced the rooms. And the setting with the chateau built over a peaceful river is spectacular.
I couldn't get enough of the kitchen(s!) The pans, shiny and ornate brass ware, the dried herbs and baskets hanging from the ceilings, the large, functional fireplaces, the huge butcher blocks with their knives...all original (well, maybe not the herbs). To some of you kitchens may not be interesting...I LOVED this part of the house best!
Then there were fresh flowers adorning every room of the chateau. Someone told us they are brought in twice a week. They got as much admiration as King Henry II's fancy furnishings.
1 comment:
Can I live in the gardener's quarters? Wow! Gorgeous. I also love the kitchen photos..so inviting.
Post a Comment