Sunday, July 12, 2009

Nantes

This whole trip around France was saved until the end when Geoff would be feeling better and the weather would be the best. And we wanted the weather to be the best when we visited the cities where Geoff was a missionary 19 years ago. Our first stop was Nantes. When we pulled into town Geoff quickly recognized that he didn't recognize much! The city has undergone a major transformation with parts of the river being filled up with land, new ground transportation and roads, and lots of growth. He was flooded with memories and we did find a few spots that he remembered. He loved being back.

This is an indoor shopping "mall" with beautiful carvings and vaulted ceilings.



One of the few medieval buildings still standing after WWII

Always awe-inspiring architecture...

We came across an incredibly creative exhibit. An aviary was created with 30 adorable little birds flying around. The bird's only perches were electric guitars that were highly amped. Each time a bird landed on the guitar string it would create a sound. Many birds would fly around landing and taking off which created music. Awesome.

2 comments:

Asawari RaoRane Agrawal said...

Dear Darcie and GD,

I was so happy to stumble across your blog a couple of nights ago. I have been thinking about you a lot and wondering how all of you are doing and was really happy to read that Geoff is feeling so so much better. Yay !! I loved seeing photos of the girls - they have grown so much. Darcie your stories and photos of them remind me of my sisters and I when we were their age! Good Luck on your transition back to the US. I know that in many ways that will be welcomed, but it will be a transition for all of you and I'll be thinking of you. We'd love to see you when you are back and settled. As of a week ago, I myself have transitioned to being a full-time mom! Darcie, I can only hope that I can be as wonderful as you :) Warm wishes to all. Asawari

ashley said...

Wow, that little bird aviary is really unique..very creative. I bet the girls loved it. I decided to fly into sacramento and we'll be there early monday morning (9am) on Monday, August 17th. Can't wait! I sent you the flight info. Zig will come get us on Wednesday night. Woo hoo!