Thursday, October 13, 2011

A few years ago I discovered a beautiful theory on teaching called the Reggio Emilia approach based on some preschools in Italy. Over the years many teachers have gone to study the Reggio Emilia schools in an effort to bring the principles back to the United States. Here it is often called "Project-Based Learning" and the idea is that the child initiates the learning process. There is a woman who started a Reggio Emilia preschool who now, from what I gather, is an educational consultant. She also uses the principles to homeschool her sons and has a very informative blog called Camp Creek Blog.

This past summer I stumbled across a book called Playful Learning. This woman also has experience in a Reggio Emilia school, and wrote this for parents wanting to encourage their children's natural curiosity and wonder. It is for children ages 4-8 but Adele is having a lot of fun with the activities too. Her website is full of fun resources and links.

Beginning map skills begin with a map of one's room


As much as I love this theory I really struggle putting it into practice daily. My detail and schedule-oriented personality inhibit me from really jumping in and giving it a try. I like to be able to plan ahead and then check things off a list. But Playful Learning talks about creating an environment that piques interest in a child, and then when they want to know something you go from there. I've done a few of her recommendations and they work! I have such a long way to go, but the approach is always at the back of my mind, and as much as I stumble...one of these days I'm bound to get it right!

A homemade terrarium

1 comment:

David & Vanessa said...

Gabriel has been in a reggio emilia program the last year and a half! I love it, and we're sending him to a reggio emilia school here in Richmond, when he graduates from this one!