Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Over-scheduled

I'm a big believer in NOT over-scheduling kids in activities. As a matter-of-fact I would stay home most days if it was up to me. But this fall my kids were ready to try some new things, and they really wanted more activities away from home. It was time. September and October are busiest, and then some of the activities will fade out. The girls are signed up for tennis twice a week. I say signed up because only Adele is willing to play every time. But we go twice a week and theoretically they play.






They continue to take art from Dana Solomon (who is a Davis family celebrity), and because the Theater Company isn't doing a play this fall the girls chose a singing and dancing group. They LOVE it and wish they could go every day. Tennie is doing a creative writing class that also has a small section on Latin and Logic. She did this class last year and loved it. She is also taking an online weekly piano course (one that I did during the summer) and after that we'll see if she wants to commit to lessons. Compared to some families I know this isn't much, but when I do school with them all day, and then run them around afterward, there isn't much time to cook and clean and do laundry, let alone take a nap! As is, it isn't a sustainable pace for me, but for a few months of beautiful weather we'll survive, and survive well.

1 comment:

ashley said...

You know I love this post. Yeah for tennis! It's amazing how quick the days fill up, even with homeschooling! I can't wait to completely disconnect in a few weeks!

The road trip to Utah looks like such fun. My kids have not been to Provo or Salt Lake and I forget how much there is to do there!