Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Revv Up the Z School Engines!

Year #5 of homeschooling started today.  I have spent a good amount of time trying to organize myself, and am committing to be more prepared for my week and day ahead.  And even with all of my preparation, my biggest personal goal this school year is to let go of the project manager in me that really wants me to keep things on task and pay attention to the interests, attention and rhythms of my kids.  While my posts this week are Declarations of Intention for the year, they will likely look very different by June.  As my dad has often told me, "Let go of the outcome, Darcie."  I'm trying to do just that.

I met with each girl individually to find out what they wanted to learn this year.  Here is the breakdown of what we are starting with:

Tennie (7th Grade)
All Girls Coop (Jr. High) - Writing From Your Roots, Latin & Greek and Logic, and Shakespeare
Khan Academy
Online Rosetta Stone, French - Level 2
Voice Lessons
Piano Lessons
Typing
Cooking (at home class)
Soccer league
Dramatic Moments (TNT Jr.) - theater and play theory

Additional interests: creative writing, imovie, photography and photo editing, architecture, and drawing

Adele (5th Grade)
All Girls Coop - Don't Forget to Write, Latin and Logic
Saxon Math and Khan Academy
Online Rosetta Stone, French - Level 1
Reading
Writing - Journaling; copywork
Piano lessons
Nature Drawing Class
Cooking (at home class)
Sewing (at home class)
Working on horse lessons
 
Additional interests: fashion design, modeling, watercolor

Ceci (2nd Grade)
All Girls Coop - Don't Forget to Write (she'll dictate to me), Latin & Logic
Reading - Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Saxon Math and Khan Academy
Online Rosetta Stone, French - Level 1
Writing - dictation of creative stories
Nature Drawing Class
Cooking (at home class)
Sewing (at home class)
Soccer league

Additional interests: "Does anyone want to play with me?"

All together we are studying Early American History (with hopes of a trip East around Thanksgiving).  We will read books together aloud, and Tennie will read books individually, on this theme.

We will have a science experiment together once a week. 

I try to be the wind in their sails with the things they desire to learn, and the balance is to allow them the space to change their minds and/or choose something new.  Time to do what they love most is a big value, so backing off on the "schedule" to allow that time is where I want to be better.

Here is to a great year!
 


1 comment:

bostonshumways said...

Darcie, this makes me want to home school again so much. I love what you are doing and how you are doing it. I wish my kids could attend your school, heck, I wish I could attend your school!

oh, if you're coming to Boston around thanksgiving, please come and see us or stay with us, we would so love to see you guys.