Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Adele's Fashion Birthday Party

Adele's 11th birthday came at a time when we were just recovering from the funeral and she didn't have any friends, yet.  But she still wanted a birthday party and some celebratory hoopla so we invited Geoff's four sisters that live in the area, and Babs, and told them to dress fancy for a Fashion Birthday Party.  It turned out to be so much fun.

When each guest arrived Adele did their eye make-up with bright blues and purples, and embellished with small diamond stickers and glitter.  Then we ate a light lunch.  Adele was especially excited about the pink lemonade bottles with the Eiffel Tower.



One aunt had no problem dressing fancy...
After lunch and cupcakes we sat down to demonstrate our fashion design skills.  Each of us put a few fashion themes in a bowl, like 'evening gown' or 'summer party dress' or 'work-out clothes'.  Adele then drew out a theme and we all had to create it.  We did four rounds, I think.  We shared our designs and hung them on the wall.



Next we divided into four (very small) groups with a kid in each group.  Each group had a bag of the same items: tulle, cellophane, mesh ribbon, and a toilet paper roll (some groups used some left-over plastic tablecloth).  Each group had 10 minutes to create something fabulous for their kid to model in the final fashion show.






Adele then opened all sorts of fun birthday presents.  Some design books, fashion sticker books, Paris notepads, a wire Eiffel Tower...she was in heaven.


Later the kids played with all of the left-over tulle and Adele came out with an awesome-looking veil.  She looked too cute to not take a few pictures.



Having had an eleven-year-old once already I was pretty sad about this birthday.  A transformation takes place during this year from child to young woman.  Suddenly my children feel very slippery, like I won't be able to hold on much longer.

Adele is such a beautiful human being.  She is sensitive and compassionate.  She is adoring and verbally affectionate.  She is disciplined and exact.  She is persistent, organized, and dependable.  She is artistic and athletic.  She has been a delightful child and will be a magnificent young woman.  It is absolutely my privilege to be her mother.

3 comments:

ashley said...

Hi this is Nina,
I miss Adele soooooo much!!!
your party looked awesome,I would of went to salt lake to see you but I don't have the ticket
love you
-Nina😊

ashley said...

Hi this is Nina,
I miss Adele soooooo much!!!
your party looked awesome,I would of went to salt lake to see you but I don't have the ticket
love you
-Nina😊

sirbobby1 said...

I love that girl. I know that she will make lots of friends. All those people are about to receive a great blessing in their lives.