Friday, February 27, 2009

Verona

We planned to make it to Venice but we were tired by Verona so we stopped for the night. We spent a little time exploring and there is one dominant theme in the medieval town of Verona and that is Romeo and Juliet…quite appropriate for the week of Valentine’s Day. The alley-street to Juliet’s house was filled with a generous amount of lingerie shops, Romeo and Juliet mementos of every variety, Romeo and Juliet lunch specials and our very ordinary Romeo and Juliet hotel. Large red hearts hung throughout all the streets. I guess it is somewhat of a pilgrimage for lovers. There is a large Roman arena (second only to Rome itself), and an in-tact Roman forum, and that is about all we saw of the place before heading out of town.


The old Roman road has this symbol of the beginnings of Rome: two brothers, Romulus and Remus who were raised by a she-wolf


Juliet's balcony


It is believed that if you touch Juliet's right breast you will have luck in love. Lots of people sheepishly went up and gave it a touch...a great people watching spot!


Geoff has plenty of love...


Masks a waiter gave the girls at a restaurant

The Roman forum

The girls played around with this very nice "gladiator" from Serbia who spoke English. Verona's Bishop approached and it was comical how the gladiator shaped up and was suddenly very formal and self-conscious...Tennie clearly wasn't!

A few pictures around the Roman arena

2 comments:

Brynn said...

I'VE BEEN THERE!! I feel so proud. I've been reading your blog all along, but haven't made a comment..sorry. I love it though. What a cute, good family! I'm looking forward to seeing your Venice pictures.

Sharisa Lewis said...

Wow, what an awesome education your girls are really getting! Can't get that in the classroom!