Wednesday, April 22, 2009

French dogs in our town

I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people in this town own a dog. Dogs are in the marche (market) and grocery stores, restaurants, stores of all kinds, on the beach, on mopeds and bikes, pulled along in little carts, dressed when it is cold, and today I even saw a woman carrying a medium-sized dog on her lip like she would a clingy toddler. I daresay dogs are more respected than children. Then again, both get yanked and spanked around. There are a lot of cats, too. They seem semi-wild as I've seen them dig in tree or flower beds to do their business. Although we saw a man walking in the olive grove once walking a cat on a leash. The cat marched along far in front of the man pulling the leash taut.

Back to dogs. Dogs do their duty all over the place. Only a handful of French pick up after their dogs like we do in the states. Although some realize how unpleasant it is to step in it, or see it for that matter, and will leave a little tissue or napkin over it. We've come up with a code word for dog poop (we've had our share of poop on our shoes) to warn others of us who may not be watching. We say, "D-O-G", only we say it fast like it is a word, "DeeOgee". The other day we saw a man riding a moped on the sidewalk. He had a poop-vac and went around sucking up the dog poop! What a job!

"Hi, what do you do?"

"I vacuum poop."

No wonder so man people have dogs...

1 comment:

ashley said...

Interesting! I bet all that dog poop makes you miss Kipper even more :) Dog poop is pretty gross...because some higher power must have wanted me to keep Kona, from the first day we got him, Zig showed him where to poop and he only poops in that one spot in the very back corner of our property. I have never seen poop in the yard. I think that would put me over the edge.I think you and I are probably pretty simlar in our level of doggie tolerance :)