Monday, April 27, 2009

Irony

Have I mentioned that this past winter was the coldest weather in 65 years? And now we are in the wettest spring anyone can remember? It seems that God loves to work through irony. Geoff dedicated his life to helping all of God's children have opportunities to succeed but in the process became so sick he couldn't do the very thing he felt inspired to do. Irony. Then, when moving to France seemed like the right thing to do we felt that it was going to be a place to dry out after 7 years in the Northwest. Instead it has been cold and rainy most of our time here. Let me make sure to clarify that we have had an incredible experience in France; a life changing experience...just in different ways that we expected. I would imagine that this irony happens in all of our lives at one time or another.

There is a truth in Buddhism that says something to the effect that Life is Pain but we only suffer because we have an expectation about how life should be. The difference between what life is and what we feel it should be is what causes the suffering. I love that. Geoff and I have talked a lot about it. I have a natural tendency to form pictures in my head - anything from how I would like my day to go, to what I would like my child to be like, to what the next phase in our life will look like. They are beautiful pictures, I assure you. Then I work like a maniac to make those pictures happen. Usually I feel frustrated and disappointed, and as the Buddhist truth would say, still full of desire for what life should be.

Personally, through the irony in our lives, I'm learning to let go of those perfect pictures (my parent's are cheering, I'm sure!) In many ways I feel like I'm living life with my left hand. But I'm learning to trust that our challenges in life have a purpose: to help us grow and become more God-like, and that as we submit to these challenges and rely on the Savior we don't have to feel any suffering. I am learning to accept that life is about pain (struggle; adversity)...that is the plan! Once I accept that truth, and allow the refining to take place, I actually don't feel any suffering at all. I feel joy as I trust in and receive help from the Savior. I feel peace despite the pain and the irony in our lives. I'm so grateful for such a personalized tutorial in learning this. This has been just part of my French experience. What a year!

Oh, and it does makes the rain the past four days feel more tolerable!

4 comments:

David & Vanessa said...

Darc, I just love reading your introspection on things...it motivates me...and I wish I could write as good as you...this new mom brain has taken away all my grammar skills that I once had!

I love all your pictures from all your trips...i'm so happy you guys have made the most of your time in France. When are you coming back? And where to?

Grandma Sue said...

Darci, Thanks for your insight on the plan. I have just begun to figure it out at 57 - almost too late.

ashley said...

What a wonderful post...you definitely have a gift for writing and expressing yourself so eloquently. And the points about accepting irony, trials, and the unexpected in life are so true.

Tell your Mom and Nicky hello! How fun to have those two for a visit! I'm sure the girls are loving it.

Catherine Witt said...

Hi Darcy...I was just saying a similar thing to Annika today when she whined about practicing letters, "but it's too hard". If it wasn't hard, I told her, it would not be life.
Also, I just posted a blog about our expectations being turned on their head. Don't you just love irony. I just live for irony, but, at the same time, I know I need to be careful what I wish for...

Catherine