Sunday, April 5, 2009

General conference weekend

This has been an especially special general conference! Of course, our time is not your time so we watched the Saturday morning session from 6-8:00PM Saturday night our time via internet. We look forward with great anticipation to hear from our prophet and the twelve apostles every spring and fall, and this weekend’s conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints didn’t disappoint in providing comfort, guidance, strength and a fair share of warning. But most exciting was the call of Neil L. Anderson to be an apostle. He was Geoff’s mission president and had (and continues to have) a great impact on him. Six years later he married us in the Salt Lake temple. And it was Elder Anderson that put Geoff in contact with Mike Murray in Redmond, Washington…the seed of Unitus. He is a great man; a consecrated man who lives an exemplary life.

Today the priesthood session was rebroadcast from 11-1:00 at the Nice chapel. While Geoff attended that session the girls and I walked the few blocks to Cimiez, a church and an old, stone monastery that has beautiful gardens. Thankfully I had my camera so I could at least attempt to capture the beautiful day, flower beds and old charm of stone walls. Henri Matisse lived in the Cimiez area of Nice. His grave is in the church’s cemetery, as well as a museum with a lot of his works.

Cimiez church

It is palm Sunday, and this man was selling little vases made of palm leaves. Everyone was carrying around branches, some with one of these little vases for them.

I loved this old French guy with his barret sitting against such a beautiful wall near the entrance to the church. The girls and I peeked in on the Palm Sunday sermon.





Adele catching a lady bug who got cozy on Ceci's back




I gave black and white a try...



That is a view of Nice and the sea in the background. The views are beautiful although the haze today makes them difficult to see.




We joined the rest of the ward for a bring-your-own-lunch picnic where we had “Mormon Tiramisu” (no coffee or alcohal) created by an Italian woman in our ward (congregation). It is divine. We tried making her recipe at home last night but because her directions were all approximate it didn’t turn out as well as hers. We watched her make it at the church this morning and think we have it down. It is our spring conference traditional food starting this weekend! We watched a rebroadcast of yesterday afternoon’s session then came home and watched Sunday morning live. We feel we’ve just had a spiritual feast and can’t wait to wake up tomorrow with a new day to be a little better.

The kids played a game on the lawn outside between sessions. You had to freeze when a certain word was called out...

Adele in a frozen run...

2 comments:

Shawni said...

I got "stuck" on this blog forever the other day and then my computer died...I think before I left a comment. Just wanted to tell you that you are living the life! !!! What amazing adventures you're having traveling the world! It was fun to see you guys in Florence at so many of the same places we were. Man it makes me want to go visit all those places. How come Europe is SO much more beautiful adn quaint?? LOVE it. Anyway, live it up for the last little while there! Glad to hear Geoff is feeling better. I hope he continues to feel that way!

Love, Shawni

ashley said...

Those are such precious pictures of the girls. When I read the new apostle's bio, I wondered if he was Geoff's mission president. What a small world. Conference was just wonderful, wasn't it? We missed the afternoon sessions both days so I can't wait till tomorrow when I can read it all online.

I am trying to get skype going. I always thought you had to use a camera for Skype but now I know different :) ALso, I added a comment on my post about the tomato/goat cheese bread to give more details.