Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Self-directed learning

The past few days I have allowed the girls to direct their own learning throughout the day. Tennie has spent most of her time drawing girls. She draws them at each age. She draws their mothers and grandmothers. She feels nostalgic when they are grown up.

She also creates individual profiles. She goes into great detail about the girl, and her likes and dislikes. Later she often plays with them as a paper doll. The become very real to her.

At first I was a little concerned that she was "wasting time". With more thought I realized she is strengthening her writing skills. She is learning to develop characters that are real and believable...anything but a waste of time.

On a different note, since the girls know there is no chance of us buying them an iphone ("but everyone else has one") they have decided to create their own.

Apps included

No end to their creativity!

1 comment:

Heather Parry said...

I just spent a few minutes introducing my boys to Tennie's creation, Nelly Ann Bachman. A.Mazing. We are all duly impressed by her creativity, attention to detail and diligence.

Hooray for Tennie's mad, mad skills!