Last Saturday I went for my second haircut here in France. The first one wasn't pretty. I showed up totally forgetting that I don't speak the language. After trying to do some charades to show that I wanted them to cut my hair pretty short they got the drift and made helmet motions. The overly sensitive guy cutting my hair literally pouted because he didn't want to do what I wanted him to do. After calling over another stylist for some reinforcement I listened to their French gibberish and walked out of the salon with my hair mid-neck-length in the front and it curved downward on the backside. Not cute. Thank my lucky stars I could still put it into a ponytail. On Saturday I tried a new salon and I was armed with a picture. I had decided to wait on my itch for shorter hair until I could communicate clearly and ask advice. I brought a picture I had used before coming to France figuring it was a safe haircut. But when I got to the salon I realized my hair is much curlier here with the humidity and this picture wouldn't work. Charades again. Maybe I really did want a big change... So I motioned shorter hair and they gave me the helmet routine again. But then one had an idea and the other began to cut. It didn't look right so she kept cutting...and cutting. I ended up with the short hair I wanted, and admittedly it does look a little helmet-ish. I like it, though. It feels good to go shorter as the weather warms up.
I got home and Geoff said, "Hi Joanie." That's because many years ago right before Geoff and I started dating I went from long to short hair and suddenly people were stopping me in the street and the airport asking if I was Joanie (from Joanie Loves Chachi). I wasn't totally flattered as I remembered her looking like this:

But then my fun roommate printed a picture of the Joanie loved Chachi and I had to admit that there was a resemblance! What do
you think? (Granted, I'm older now and you can imagine Geoff instead of Scott Bayo.)

Here is a picture of her more recently. Look at the two of us...any likeness?
6 comments:
Joanie WISHES she looked like you! You are a hottie, Darc!
You look FABULOUS!! I love your hair!Oh how I wish for curly hair!! I've even broken down and prayed for it...I guess the answer is (STILL) no...
The hair looks darling and those two pictures look very similar! Might ask your mom if the family trees correspond? One of my friends looks like Glenn Close (not something she was happy about after Fatal Attraction), and her mom actually did find out through doing family history that they have the same 2nd great grandpa :) Its sure fun to read your posts!
I love it! Love the chic little scarf too :)
GREAT haircut! You look wonderful!!!
You do look like Erin Moran, but I never would have come up with that on my own. If your hair was a different color then I don't think the resemblance would be there so much.
I echo Ashley's comment about the chic scarf. Good work. You look mighty French.
Love the haircut. Love the story.
Post a Comment