Tuesday, May 26, 2009

March U

All this time in France and I haven't written about Marche U... The fresh marche closes at noon, and unless we prepare for it (which we do twice a week) we shop at Marche U. Marche U is the Safeway of this area, only much smaller. It is right next to the beach we go to, and next to a fun park the girls love. It has been as much of our living experience in France as the fresh marche.



It isn't your regular shopping experience. There are often vendors selling flowering bushes, clothing, tablecloths, etc. in front of the store (today it was clothing). As with all grocery stores we've been to in Europe one must put a euro into the cart to use it; when finished you get your euro back. The few homeless people in town wisely park themselves next to these carts and usually get the euros. One homeless guy has become our friend. His name is Niko. Unfortunately he wasn't there when I was taking these pictures. I'll keep trying. He speaks English really well although he is from the Netherlands. He and three other homeless people in town live together in a little "squat" (as he calls it) up in the hills. They rotate locations around town during the day. He is always at Marche U in the mornings.


Marche U is always crowded

I usually fill up the little-sized carts pretty quickly. The check out ladies are expressionless. There is one nice lady you'll see pictured here. We try to go to her. It is expected that you bring your own bags. They'll sell you bags if you ask for them, but they look at you regardless wondering why you don't have your act together for the sake of the planet...or maybe it's because I don't speak French. There isn't anyone to bag your groceries. I never realized how much I take those people for granted! So the groceries come through and I bag them as quickly as I can but it isn't fast enough to keep the line moving. No one in the line complains (a real marvel about the French people)...they just watch me scramble to get the heavy things on the bottom, the bags from being too heavy to carry down the 100 stairs, and the items to one side so as soon as my things get down to a reasonable number on the counter the next person can start to move through. It is a good exercise for me to not feel external pressure...

This lady is smiling as she watches Geoff and the girls load the bag. The others don't smile.
Geoff and Tennie say they are really going to miss Marche U. The rest of us...we can take it or leave it.

No comments: