Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Granada

Yesterday we arrived in Granada, the oldest Colonial town in Central America.  In the 1500s it was the symbol of Spanish opulence.  (It has quite a rough history after that.)  The Spanish charm still exists, thanks to many foreign developers who have come to revive it.  Most homes, hotels and restaurants still have the beautiful courtyards and brightly-colored exteriors.  It reminds me of San Cristobal de las Casas in Mexico where we spent a summer when Tennie was just a few months old.  I love old Colonial architecture.

We're staying in a beautiful, Colonial hacienda-like boutique hotel.  I'll try to get more pictures of the gorgeous details of the place, as well as the flora in the next day or two.


Ceci couldn't wait for our later check-in and went for a swim right in her clothes


Her sisters joined her

Drenched and a smoothie...now we can tour around... (look at the beautiful tile as you enter the hotel)

We took a horse carriage tour of the town. 







The tour stopped to see the beach of Lake Nicaragua...I don't know if you can see how dirty the beach is!  Needless to say, we won't be swimming in there!


The animals here are pitiful (just like the conditions for most of the people).  Stray dogs and cats abound, and the horses pulling carts and buggies are so skinny and uncared for that you can't help but want to help them.  The girls found out the horses like bananas and made sure they all got a treat.

 This beautiful yellow church is opposite the main square from our hotel.  I'll try to get some more pictures of the town's architecture.

Geoff and his colleagues headed North for a few days, first to Chinendega, Nicaragua and then a day in Honduras.  The girls and I settled down for hours of swimming.  There is a wonderful community feel with the American guests in the hotel.  The girls made all sorts of friends of all ages yesterday.

Last night I got violently sick.  All night and into the early morning my body was getting rid of whatever it didn't like any way it could.  In addition I was shaking uncontrollably and going between sweats and chills.  Not fun.  I haven't eaten all day in fear of the same kind of reaction so we mostly hung out here at the hotel all day while I rested.  I think I'm on the mend now.  Food poisoning?  Water from the tap when brushing my teeth?  Who knows...just hope it is on its way out!  Tomorrow we're hoping to explore the town a little bit more.

No comments: