Sunday, March 1, 2009

Carnival

When we first got to Venice their were hints of Carnival everywhere. The girls loved the fancy costumes and spent their own money to buy themselves a mask.


They longed to dress up and be a part of the masquerade. On Saturday morning, the first day of Carnival, we took them to The Disney Store where they were outfitted in fancy gowns and "capes" and I gave them "fancy" hair-dos. We figured the memory would last forever. It turned out to be a great decision to get into the fun. The girls had a day of stardom. Everywhere they went and anytime we stoped, people gathered to photograph the 3 princeses. They would stand together and pose for photographs, often for 10 minutes at a time! They felt so fancy and loved all the attention! Geoff and I bought capes and masks, too. Some of the costumes people wore were incredible! I only took a handful of photos but you can get a taste of how people were dressed up. The pictures are chronological throughout the day.

Tennie is the only one of the three that actually wore her mask


St. Mark's Square is where most of the activity was. There was a Dinosaur Parade where two huge dinosaurs walked around the square. It was very cool!

A gelato break...


The girls posing for a few of the dozens and dozens of photographs taken of them

Even the dogs were dressed up

They had a kid's area with clowns and face painting. Most kids were dressed up in typical Halloween costumes: fairies, pirates, clowns, etc.




My mask was made out of plaster and not comfortable!
I couldn't even smile! But it was so fun to be dressed up.




Since we've been home we've been reading the Magic Tree House book about Venice and Carnival. The girls feel like they are in the book! They know exactly what it is like. We had a great time and were sad to leave. On our way out of town we went to church on mainland Venice. It was in a super cool Italian building full of light. The ward goal in 2009 is "Create Zion". An area authority from England was there and spoke...in English. There was a great spirit there. Arrivederci Venice!
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints meetinghouse

3 comments:

Kate said...

We Loved Venice. Did St Marc's Square flood with the tide in the afternoon? And the Sunshine... There is a really great jewelery store there right off the square that sold the most fantastic glass beads. AAHHH...to go back!

ashley said...

That looks like an absolute blast! I love all of your masks, the girls outfits, the scenery...it's all just amazing. I hope you're taking lots of notes about all the food...I'm going to have to pick your brain at some point :)

Tausha said...

I found your blog through Cherstyns. Sounds like you guys are having a memorable year in France. How fun does Carnival look, wow, what a great memory for the girls. You look great, it's been a while. I decided to do a blog for our family so follow if you would like. I love seeing your adventures.