Today we set out to find our church building in Nice. We had to wake up the girls early to leave the house at 7:15AM. We walked 30 minutes to the train station, took a 40 minute train ride, and then a 10 minute taxi ride (to avoid figuring out the tram and bus ride on our first Sunday morning). The first family we met had three little girls just older than ours, and the parents were both missionaries in America so spoke English. This was hopeful! It is so nice to have instant family; a group of people who care about us, are offering their phone numbers if we need help with anything, and have the names of our girls memorized. The primary has about 12 kids. I went with Adele to her class and her cute teacher had Adele who doesn't speak French, an Australian little girl whose French is pretty good, and two Italian girls, only one who speaks French. Tennie jumped in and read two scriptures in French in her class, and Ceci ventured to class on her own. The ward (congregation) was half French and Italian with a few other nationalities mixed in, a fun mix of people. My brain hurt after trying to listen for familiar words for three hours, and the girls were tired, hungry and bored, begging to go home by the end. I spent a good hour last night preparing breakfast and lunch for today, and it didn't last (somehow it never does), and water didn't keep up with our overheated bodies. A very nice fellow sister saw us at the bus stop trying to interpret the schedule and route and offered to take us to the train station (bless her soul through all eternity!) We had to wait in sweaty line for about 45 minutes to buy a return ticket, everyone had to hold their bladders as we barely made the train, we rode on a crowded, older train, and walked slowly home, uphill and dehydrated.

Geoff, Tennie and Adele on the walk home from the train station
Eight hours and 50 euro later we got home. This is some serious dedication to Sunday worship! We're brainstorming how to make it work more easily next week...
Darcie
7 comments:
Wow! What a first week! I am now grateful for my 10 minute commute to church. Although, we don't get to meet interesting people and see beautiful things along the way, so I guess there are advantages to both! Thanks for posting the pics. It's awesome to see what everything looks like. And was that a baguette I saw in Adele's hand?!?!?! I'm dying to know if you guys really can eat the bread? I hope so! That's too bad that it's kind of a climb for you guys to get out of the house. Well, you could all stand to lose a few pounds, so it'll be good for you...;) Hope you are finding time to sit by your pool and rest in between all your exploring and discovering.
Give the girls a squeeze for me.
Em
Nothing new around here.
I can't believe you guys actually live there! It looks gorgeous. I can't wait to show TK and Taeya the pictures. We love you guys and love this resting adventure you are on!
Bisoux!
Ink
Oh my goodness. What an amazing place to live. You guys live in paradise. Tell Tennie that I sure miss her in my classroom. It is just not the same without her bubbly smiling face. I want to hear all about your adventures in France. How are you doing Geoff? I hope you are getting lots of rest and enjoying some down time. I was really sad to know that I missed your phone call the other day. Thank you for thinking of me. I really think the world of your family and your values. Have fun and keep updating your blog. I want to hear and see more. Miss you guys!
Ms. McCathern
I loved reading your blog. I will check it often. Church was an adventure! Love you lots.
My goodness, Darcie! I loved reading about your adventure and you've only been there a short while. I apologize on behalf of my boring blog that I struggle to keep updated...but I am a huge fan of yours! I'm sure this will be a most AMAZING year for you guys! So happy for you! And I'm going to live my dream of an exciting life through you, k?
What a fun week!! It's wonderful t see you all "on sight", with the charming European backdrop of cobbled streets, and window boxes teeming with flowers and that magnificent azure blue Sea sparkling behind you!! What a gift from God you are living.
We were so happy the trip went well, and know you will settle in quickly with good friends sent to help you adjust. Maybe rent a car for the weekends? And put in a dumb waiter up your steps!!
How's the local produce? Have you found the markets? Em, Bailey and I went blackberry picking today and made freezer jam. And I picked fresh potatoes and yams from the garden for dinner- our first! But we sure don't have your view...
Love and hugs,
Mom/ Mormor
PS- Is someone sending another key to the Audi?
Hi Darcie! What an experience!! Hey check online for Easy Car. They had them in England for around 5 pounds a day. Really easy to rent and pretty convienient. You do every thing on line, then pick it up the day you need it. I'm sure they have a French Branch... probably in Paris, but it worth a try. Love to you all my brave friends!
Post a Comment