Friday, September 12, 2008

Last day of summer

Today was a beautiful day; the last day of summer. We start school on Monday, and tomorrow the temps drop and Fall begins. Geoff is mourning the end of hot days. I'm glad temperatures will be a bit cooler. We really differ in our weather preferences. He loves HOT and sunny. I like anything between 65 and 72...I'm sort of particular!

Today was about 80 and we spent the afternoon at the beach lounging and swimming in the sea. Geoff took this picture of me playing with the girls in the water because it is such an anomaly for those that know me well. Water has to be really warm for me to get in...and there I am.


After sitting on the beach and observing a little, it is clear that people don't obsess about their bodies here. People of all sizes are lounging comfortably in tiny bikinis, many without tops. No one wears shorts to cover up the extra pounds, or sits covered up because they're self-conscious. No one is walking around trying to flaunt anything, or get attention. No one has a boob job. Men aren't walking around looking tough and muscular. They are what they are...they don't think of it. It is such a contrast to the same scene on an American shore. How sad that in our self-absorbed culture we place so much emphasis on how we look. How unfortunate that it often defines people, and gives or takes away self-worth. I loved having my girls there not overhearing comments like, "Wow, you are looking so thin!" Or, "Wow, where did you get that swimming suit!?" The absence of that focus would allow them to be who they really are, and not worry about insignificant comparisons. A good lesson from the French.

Ceci had her first ride on the scooter today.


There is a great little park right by the beach. Here is a nice pose from Adele. (She is suddenly asking to have her pictures taken and loves to give this smile.)

3 comments:

ashley said...

Wow, love the frequent posts, Darcie! Great picture of you swimming with the girls. I also loved the market pictures, especially the spices, yum! And I have always admired the acceptance many europeans have for imperfection as far as body image. It's awesome! I know Rollin would thrive in France. He might get a pass on being a nudist for several more years. Fun fun :)

Sharisa Lewis said...

That photo of you playing in the water with your kids is just PRICELESS! What a dream year for you and your family!

Laurie Romney said...

Darcie!
I am so intrigued by your new adventure! Matt and I are hoping to go to France sometime in the near future, so we will definitely come visit if we make it while you are still there! I have to make one more plug for you to consider San Diego when you come back! The weather is a dream and living a bit inland, like we do, in a planned community is too perfect (feels like pleasantville!). The traffic is really not bad either!
Anyway, we miss you and would love to be your neighbors again!